About Travis Robertson
Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA), 1991
BSc. Structural Engineering, University of Calgary, 1989
Travis is an accomplished business executive and professional engineer with 30 years of experience in the international energy production and energy services sectors. He brings a hands-on, ground-up perspective regarding business challenges and opportunities gained through roles of increasing responsibility from the field to the boardroom while working for several industry-leading companies. Over the last thirteen years, while holding senior executive roles, Travis led organizations of up to 2500 staff with budgets of over 400 million dollars through strategic actions and improvement processes that resulted in sustainable growth and increased profitability. Travis has a passion for helping operations-driven companies to elevate their performance and achieve their goals by creating and deploying practical, actionable and resilient strategies and tactics and has more recently developed a business sustainability platform for industrial applications.
Executive Leadership and Management Consulting
- Advised and worked for several investor groups on mandates involving
- M&A strategy
- market strategy
- business turn-around
- technology commercialization initiatives
- As Interim President of an oil and gas equipment manufacturer and software developer,
- restructured the organization and employed enterprise data-driven processes to optimize sales and manufacturing operations, growing revenue by 5x while generating a 20% operating margin.
- As Interim President of a good intervention service provider
- restructured the organization
- optimized the operating asset designs and operational processes
- re-positioned the business in the market, growing revenue by 5x while generating 12% EBITDA.
- As Senior Vice President of a publicly-traded multi-division oilfield services company
- re-positioned two divisions in the market
- introduced operational excellence programs, doubling revenue while increasing EBITDA by over 3x.
- As replacement President and CEO of a publicly-traded multi-division oilfield services company
- restructured and refinanced the business growing EBITDA by 180% and reducing debt by 20%
- Attracted new board members and investors to refinance the business and acquire an international operations segment.
- As Canada Region Vice President of a publicly-traded multi-national oilfield services company
- successfully consolidated 10 post-merger business units with 2500 personnel and $750M revenue
- Led two highly accretive acquisitions and implemented a strategic marketing alignment program, growing revenue by 20% and EBIT by 30%.
Technology Development and Commercialization
- Created the commercialization plan for an investor group supporting the development of a novel carbon capture technology (Client Confidential).
- Designed functional architecture and an associated emissions reduction model for an integrated engineering and real-time operations data acquisition software.
- Established financing and co-developed the design and manufacture of a ‘state of the art’ drilling rig that employed ‘state of the art’ electrification and automation technologies.
- Co-developed the design and market strategy for a novel semi-automated gas production flow/erosion control technology.
- Designed, manufactured and operationalized a heli-portable well servicing fleet for a private investor group.
Engineering, Operations and Business Development
- As Global Integrated Services Manager
- oversaw $900M of multi-service tendering activities and $200M in ongoing multi-service business activity.
- As Business Development Manager
- led the restructuring of the eastern hemisphere sales and marketing organization growing revenue by 246%
- Using new managed pressure drilling technology, won an offshore HPHT drilling project and won a multi-year underbalanced drilling contract for Shell U.K./Netherlands.
- As Senior Drilling/Completions/Well Engineer in various International roles
- planned and executed various onshore and offshore assignments
- Pioneered the development of numerous drilling/completion technologies – deep horizontal drilling – short radius well re-entries – platform-based coiled tubing drilling. Was project manager for an offshore North Sea drilling project that employed coiled tubing technology and advanced a number of new downhole technology initiatives.
- As Principal Structural Engineer
- provided consulting services for structural design, inspection, repair and as an expert witness.
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, How to Survive in a Cyclical Business – Energy Services Breakfast, Calgary, Alberta Oil Magazine
- Speaker, Heli-portable Coiled Tubing Operations, Calgary, SPE ICoTA Technical Luncheon
- Co-author, Heli-portable Well Servicing, Nickles New Technology Magazine
- Co-author, SPE 46046 Coiled Tubing Drilling on the North Cormorant Platform
- Speaker, Slimhole and Reeled System Conference, Cork Ireland Petroleum Engineering Association
- Speaker, Coiled Tubing Technology Update, Stavanger Norway, SPE Stavanger
- Lecturer, Coiled Tubing Drilling Seminar, Aberdeen Scotland, Robert Gordon Institute of Technology