About Lowy Gunnewiek
M.A.Sc., Mechanical Engineering, University of Waterloo, 1994
B.Tech., Mechanical Engineering, Ryerson University, 1991
Diploma, Agriculture, Kemptville College of Agricultural Technology, 1981
Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA), 2011
Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO), 1996
Lowy is a professional engineer with more than 30 years of experience in the international energy, mining & metals, infrastructure and agriculture sectors. He is also a proven senior executive who is able to provide high-impact business, engineering and technology solutions for today and tomorrow, and achieves this by taking a holistic approach that ensures innovation processes are aligned and complimentary across the interfaces of business, operating strategies, teams, and technologies.
Lowy was most recently the Chairman and CEO of Sproule and led the development and execution of a business and operational strategy to transform the company from a Canadian focused upstream oil and gas consultancy to a global energy consulting and advisory firm. He has also been chairman and CEO of a technology start-up company that developed a next generation organic solvent technology. Prior to that, Lowy spent more than 18 years with Hatch and held positions such as Global Director, Energy Technology and Global Director, Oil & Gas. Lowy has a wealth of engineering and management experience and expertise that he can offer his clients, whether they are in the early stages of development, or a more mature stage requiring change to go to the next level. He is passionate about the development and commercial deployment of innovative technology and is an invaluable resource for companies navigating the challenges of developing, funding and commercializing technology. With his background in agriculture, Lowy brings a practical and holistic approach to solving our clients challenges.
A proven senior executive and professional engineer with more than 30 years of experience in the international energy, mining & metals, infrastructure and agriculture sectors. Lowy is able to provide high-impact business, engineering and technology solutions for our clients, and achieves this by taking a holistic approach that ensures innovation processes are aligned and complimentary across the interfaces of business, operating strategies, teams, and technologies.
Engineering and Business
- Sproule, Chairman and CEO. Led the development and execution of a business and operational strategy to transform the company from a Canadian centric upstream O&G consultancy to a global energy consulting and advisory firm.
- Switchable Solutions Inc., Chairman and CEO. Led the development of the green chemistry “switchable hydrophilicity solvent” technology, a next generation organic solvent technology. Focus areas included financing and funding strategies, corporate development, commercialization strategies, and IP development and protection.
- Hatch, Global Director, Energy Technology. Led the development and establishment of innovative technology based service offerings and products, including developing organizational competencies needed for the delivery of these services.
- Hatch, Global Director, Oil & Gas. Led the operations of this global business unit with full P&L responsibility, providing leadership and motivating cultural and organizational change.
- Hatch, Global Director, Specialized Engineering Analysis and Design. Established and provided leadership for a team with deep skills in advanced analysis and experimental methods used for problem solving and solution development.
- Hatch, Global Director, Non-ferrous Technology. Developed innovative, customized and highly engineered solutions that optimized the recovery of pay metals.
- Sproule, Chairman and Executive Director
- Switchable Solutions Inc., Chairman and Executive Director
- Seair Inc., Independent Director
- Shift Resources, Independent Director
- Hatch Canada Ltd., Executive Director
- C5MPT, University of Alberta, Chairman of the Scientific Advisory Committee and Member of the Management Advisory Board.
Engineering and Project Management
- Project sponsor for the multi-billion dollar Gorgon LNG project, from basic through FID to design and construction engineering.
- Project sponsor for a $350 M sulphur granulation plant for GASCO in Abu Dhabi.
- A FEL2 study for an oil sands mine in Alberta, Canada.
- A FEL1 study for a coal-bed methane project in Botswana.
- Detailed engineering for an experimental oil sands dewatering facility.
- Technical due-diligence to support investors in multi-million dollar industrial projects.
- Process engineering and project management for a diverse range projects in the global energy, mining & metals and infrastructure industries, ranging from front-end studies through to the commissioning and start-up of industrial plants, including field testing and data gathering.
Research and Engineering Design
- Lead developer for Nsolv’s solvent-based in situ extraction technology for bitumen and heavy oil, from proof-of-concept through to field-sale piloting.
- Lead developer of a solvent extraction process for mined oil sands, from bench scale to pre-pilot.
- Concept design and evaluation of novel wind turbine designs.
- Performance evaluation and optimization of a solar air heating system (SolarWallTM)
- Development and commercialization of sensing technology and condition monitoring systems for metallurgical reactors.
- Development and commercialization of power delivery, heat management and material and gas handling systems for metallurgical reactors.
- Development of refrigerated cooling systems for deep, hard-rock mines.
Author and co-author of more than 30 scientific papers and 4 patents (granted), covering:
- Energy and exergy analysis methods.
- Solar thermal heating and storage systems.
- Novel heavy oil recovery processes.
- Sensing and condition monitoring.
- Environmental engineering in the mining & metals industry.
- Metallurgical reactor design.
- Ventilation design in mines and industrial buildings.
Professional Affiliations and Activities
- Institute of Corporate Directors (ICD).
- Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE).
- The Minerals, Metals, and Materials Society (TMS)
- The Canadian Institute for Mining, Metallurgy, and Petroleum (CIM).
- Invited Lecturer, covering topics in business transformation, technology and innovation, and project economics and financing.
- Past-member of the Canadian Standards Association (CSA) Mirror Committee for the development of an ISO Standard (TC265) for carbon dioxide capture, transport and storage (CCS).
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) reviewer for grant funding applications.
- Scientific and technical reviewer of research transcripts for the Metallurgical Society.