John K. Taylor
About John K. Taylor
Law Society of Alberta – Year of Call 1997
Law Society of Upper Canada – Year of Call 1994 (inactive)
LLB, Queen’s University, 1992
B.A., University of Western Ontario, 1989
John is a corporate / commercial lawyer with experience in a variety of commercial transactions for the energy industry including those with respect to marketing, finance, joint ownership and construction. John’s work has included postings with in-house legal groups on significant industrial projects. John is a versatile, trusted advisor for his clients who can provide creative practical solutions. John has extensive experience advising clients (both owners and service providers) on the strategic implications of developing construction projects through EPC, design
build and EPCM arrangements. This project work has included advising parties on tendering and requests for proposals, field services agreements and technology licensing files.
Corporate / Commercial Transactions
- Acquisitions and divestitures, debt and equity financings, leasing and licensing in for a variety of industries
Construction and Major Projects*
- Negotiation and preparation of project ownership agreements including: unanimous shareholder, partnership and joint venture agreements
- Negotiation and preparation of engineering, EPC, design build, construction and EPCM agreements, including those for the multi-billion dollar Horizon Oil Sands Project and for other energy and non-energy projects
- Providing commercial legal advice and leadership for the downstream portion (pipeline and terminal) for proposed Aurora LNG Project
- Advising 22% owner of Alliance Pipeline on relevant ownership, shipping and pre-construction project financing documentation
- Negotiating facilities’ servicing arrangements including those relating to infrastructure, consulting, equipment purchase, power distribution, technology licensing, leasing, professional services, maintenance, and procurement (agency)
- Advising on litigation management and Supply Chain (Procurement) issues to account for relevant Change Management principles with respect to construction and operations of various facilities,
- Overseeing tender/RFP preparation, evaluation and award matters for industrial and infrastructure projects.
- Joint venture agreements and other documentation for development and operational activities
- Energy marketing, midstream, processing, liquids extraction, transportation, and storage agreements for wholly-owned and jointly-held facilities
- Negotiation of various field services, camp and site infrastructure agreements with respect to energy and other commercial enterprises
- Developing project development agreement for British Columbia (LNG) gas transportation service
- Developing asset and share purchase documentation with respect to energy acquisition transactions
- Advising on commercial and ownership agreements for a waste heat power generation project
- Co-generation gas turbine purchase and maintenance agreements
- Advising on land access agreements for pipeline expansion
- Advising Calgary infrastructure company on land and procurement matters
- Redraft of pipeline Tariff (Rules and Regulations) for an Alberta pipeline company.
- Preparation of continuous disclosure materials for public companies
- Developing a Corporate Procurement Policy for listed pipeline company
- Advising boards of directors and project teams on statutory liability and risk management matters
* Some of the foregoing work was carried out during postings (secondments) as a private practitioner assigned to work within clients’ legal departments.