About Ashton Brehm
Law Society of Alberta, Year of Call 2021
Juris Doctor (Great Distinction), Bronze Medalist, University of Saskatchewan, 2018
Bachelor of Commerce – Finance (Great Distinction), University of Saskatchewan, 2018
Ashton’s practice focuses on corporate and commercial law with a specialization in providing guidance and solutions to the new energy, cleantech, carbon capture, utilisation and storage (CCUS) and other climate change and environment, social & governance (ESG) related industries. With an appreciation for the complexities and unique challenges faced in these industries, Ashton offers tailored advice and actionable solutions to meet the specific needs of his clients. His legal expertise is complemented by a flexible and collaborative approach, leveraging interdisciplinary teams to navigate clients through the intricacies of formation, funding and commercialization through to strategic expansion, business maturation and exit. Ashton’s experience encompasses a wide range of matters including:
- Acquisitions, Mergers, and Business Transactions: Advising on share purchase transactions; asset purchase transactions; collaborative development and research relationships; joint ventures; partnerships; amalgamations and the formation of other commercial and strategic relationships.
- Contracts and Commercial Agreements: Providing guidance on the deployment of products, services, equipment and technology through a diverse array of commercialization structures. He also advises on and negotiates a large variety of commercial agreements including: license agreements; offtake agreements; lease agreements; carbon credit agreements; service agreements; royalty agreements; distribution agreements; consulting agreements; aggregation agreements; memorandum of understanding and term sheets; membership agreements; marketing agreements; referral agreements; assignment and assumption agreements; employment agreements; non-disclosure and confidentiality agreements; material transfer agreements; trust agreements and other bespoke agreements.
- Financing and Investment: Supporting clients in efficiently navigating the challenges of funding and capital raises to move their business strategy forward including prospectus offerings and exempt market financings; equity and debt offerings; angel and venture capital financings; going-public transactions; simple agreement for future equity (SAFE) offerings; warrant and promissory note offerings; subscription agreements; dividend distributions; contribution agreements; share redemptions; shares for debt and services transactions; securities law compliance and disclosure obligations and other financing and investment matters.
- Corporate Structuring, Governance, and Compliance: Advising on various corporate structuring, governance and compliance related matters including incorporations and the establishment and structuring of other business vehicles; restructuring entities for financings, exits and other strategic purposes; negotiation and preparation of shareholder agreements; by-laws; stock option plans; continuances; director meetings; shareholder meetings and other corporate structuring, governance and compliance related matters.
- Dispute Resolution and Communication: Negotiating resolutions to commercial disputes and effectively engaging with various regulatory bodies, commissions and stakeholders including preparation and negotiation of demand letters; termination letters; settlement agreements; waiver and release agreements; press releases; indemnity agreements; cease and desist letters; legal opinions and securities law and stock exchange filings and communications.
Ashton’s strategic thinking and client-centered approach to corporate and commercial law, combined with his understanding of the unique challenges faced by his clients and an appreciation of the vital role of sustainability and environmental stewardship in the modern business landscape, make him an invaluable partner in achieving your business goals. Contact Ashton to discuss your specific needs and how he can assist you in achieving your objectives.